If you haven’t heard already, Marriott International, Inc. announced their new, combined hotel loyalty program last year. Marriott Rewards®, the Ritz-Carlton Rewards® and Starwood Preferred Guest® hotel loyalty programs now lives under a single umbrella membership system with new benefits and new elite tiers. Albeit missing the official new program name (rumored to be Marriott Bonvoy: EDIT 1/31/2019: Now confirmed! Read about it here), the new benefits are active and members can now combine their legacy hotel loyalty accounts into one account.
Why combine your hotel loyalty program accounts?
Previously, you can link your SPG and Marriott Rewards / the Ritz-Carlton Rewards which gives elite status match and points transfer between programs. However, if you want all your nights to count towards the new elite tiers, you need to combine them. Now I’m not sure why Marriott doesn’t do this automatically for everyone but leaving it to members to do it themselves online. The good news is it is easy to do. I have been hesitant to merge my accounts since Marriott has been having technical issues since the integration (missing nights/stays, missing points etc.). But I had to do it before December 31st 2018 so that my nights will combine to get the new elite status tier for 2019.
Step-by-Step Instructions on how to combine your hotel loyalty program accounts
1. Login to your either Marriott Rewards / the Ritz-Carlton Rewards account or Starwood Preferred Guest program account on Marriott.com
Previously you can choose which account you would like to “merge into” – meaning you could opt to keep your SPG account and merge your Marriott Rewards / the Ritz-Carlton Rewards into that but they took that option away. So it doesn’t matter which account you log in to, you will only get to keep your Marriott Rewards account.
Note: The following are screenshots of Marriott.com – all logos, brands and graphics depicted in the imagery are property of Marriott International, Inc.
2. Once logged-in, click on your Name on the top navigation bar.
In this example, I’m logged into my Starwood Preferred Guest’s account which is still part of Marriott Rewards website at this moment.
3. The sidebar will pop up on the right of the screen. Click on “Profile”.
4. On your Profile page, you will see an option to “Combine My SPG & Rewards Accounts”. Click on “Start Now”.
5. This page explains some basic info, once you read all that or skip, go ahead and click “Start Now”.
6. Get your Marriott Rewards login info ready as the next page will ask you for it.
7. Told ya! Enter your Marriott Rewards login info and click Next.
8. Once you’re signed-in, it tells you how much you have in each hotel loyalty program account. Thank you, next!
9. As I mentioned, you can’t choose which account to keep. Next!
Sorry Elsa, you gotta let it go of your old, trusty SPG account.
10. Then it tells you what to expect when you hit Confirm. Let’s do this!
So some things transfers instantly to your Marriott Rewards account like your points, nights, elite status and upcoming reservations. Everything else will be done in 72 hours (I assume manually by someone). Groovy.
11. Congrats! You’re done!
Success page tells you of your new combined account elite tier (if any) as well as combined nights and total points. I’m Platinum Premier Elite weeeee!
12. Once you hit done, you’re taken back to the Profile page where a message again confirms the fact.
By the way, we’re having a funeral service for our beloved Starwood Preferred Guest account this Sunday. Everyone’s welcome to attend. 😥
P.S – Notice that there is a “Pending” status on your Combine My SPG and Rewards Accounts line. That’s just means check back in 72 hours for the rest of your stuff. And make sure you do check! Hopefully everything transfers smoothly. If it doesn’t, time to give Marriott a call.
That’s it. I hope you enjoyed this guide. May your hotel loyalty program accounts combining process goes smoothly! 🙏🏻
I will be posting more reviews soon so make sure you bookmark our blog http://www.shahshay.com, follow us on social media like Facebook and Instagram as well as Twitter! You could also subscribe to our RSS feed. Oh and last but not least, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel as well. More videos coming soon! Promise ?
Thanks for reading!
Editorial Disclaimer: The articles available on ShahShay.com are solely written as the personal opinions of our editorial team. The owners of product and brands featured as well as our advertisers do not provide, review, approve or endorse any of our content. While we try to be as accurate as possible when writing our editorial, we can’t absolutely guarantee that our content is free from errors or omissions or even current. Please visit the respective product owners’ websites for the latest information.